Sunday, October 3, 2010

I Need My Monster

We just had our book fair, and, of course, I found books I just HAD to have. Never mind that I'm supposed to be retired. Regardless, I Need My Monster is a new favorite already!

I used it with 3rd graders to introduce how to write a strong response. Let me start out by saying that the 3rd grade teachers combine two classes at a time when I'm in their rooms to have more chances for me to work in their classrooms. Which means that I had 44 students and 2 teachers in the room (luckily we have one empty classroom), and I have to tell you all 44 kids, and 2 adults, were totally engaged in the story laughing, making comments, and trying to see the pictures. I'm telling you... IT'S A GREAT STORY!!!!

After reading the story, I created an anchor chart showing that the first paragraph had to be a summary of the story, not a retelling, a summary. I had volunteers offer to tell us what they would write and the teachers and I voted on whether it was a retelling or a summary, giving them feedback on what to exclude or include. The students then had a few minutes to write their summaries as we walked around giving feedback to individual students.

Next, I added to the chart that the second paragraph was for them to make a connection. We reviewed the types of connections readers make, and again had volunteers share what they were thinking. Students, next, wrote their connections paragraph while we walked around touching base with them.

Finally, we added how the third paragraph had to focus on their opinions of the story and how they had to give reasons why they felt that way. I modeled and volunteers modeled before the students wrote. Again, we conferenced with students to correct or affirm their work.

Later in the day one of the teachers sent me a note to let me know she assigned her students to respond to a book during their independent reading. She was pleased to see the thorough responses she was receiving.

I think it really helped to have that common text to focus our work on. Also, being able to give students immediate feedback was crucial in helping students understand what was expected. Since working with 3rd through 5th grade teachers, I strongly encourage them to use picture books in teaching skills because the shorter text allows them to be used as mini-lessons, and they can be excellent examples of writing, and writing that all can connect with.

So, be on the lookout at your book fair for this one. I'm already planning for other lessons I can do: adding details, describing, etc.....

No comments:

Post a Comment