Friday, May 11, 2012

Where I'm From

     Poetry is a writing genre that students some times are leary of.  Some of my 4th and 5th grade boys think poems are just for girls. Many students think all poems have to rhyme, so they spend all their energy in coming up with rhyming words and their products have no depth.

     One of the first poem writing activities I do is using the poem Where I'm From by George Ella Lyon as a mentor text, along with the book Momma, Where Are You From by Marie Bradby



       After reading these and discussing them, I share my poem, Teacher, Teacher, Where Are You From?" (a copy is found on this blog, the first blog entry).  Together we talk about how I used those books to create my own and I share how I used a list to brainstorm.

       Students, then, are asked to make a list of things, people, and events that make them who they are.  They get the Where I'm From template to help with their brainstorming and to help them with the structure of the poem.  After 10 minutes of brainstorming, students pair up to share their lists and partners are encouraged to add ideas as the lists are revised.  After this buddy time, students set out to write.  They are not required to follow the template or to just fill in the blanks.  The template is a guide for their brainstorming and structure.

Here's a copy of the template and a 5th grade student sample:




       

3 comments:

  1. Hello there! Loved this blog. I took a graduate school course called "Multi-Cultural Issues" and we all wrote "Where I'm From" poems in an exercise - it was a powerful one for all of us. Which leads me to a question: I am working on developing a culturally sensitive training system for leaders (trying to create something I can sell to companies - fingers crossed) and was wondering if I could use your template and sample poem in this blog in the text. I'm not sure if that just involves getting your permission (if you are okay with it) or if there are copyright issues. I don't have any $ to pay for it (unless we're talking under $100). Would that be something you'd be okay with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm,street fights and a 5th grade student really merge dont they

    ReplyDelete